Friday, April 24, 2015

Kentucky Derby means hats and horses!

And they're off! Almost, but not quite yet. "They" -- are the world-class three-year-old thoroughbreds that grace the Kentucky Derby at world-famous Churchill Downs. The fastest two minutes in sports will soon be held May 2 in Louisville, Kentucky.

I enjoyed photographing the hats which is something I have never done around Derby time because I'm so hung up on the horses. I've been working in the studio to "hang the hats".  The hats are courtesy of Laura Whitlock Millinery, Loreta Corsetti Millinery, both of Chicago, and Forme Millinery in Louisville. "Millinery" is an  old-world term for hats. These fancy hats and fascinators are very pretty, delicate, done in meticulous work, beautiful materials, just glorious. I marvel at the craftmanship and detailing. Hope you will too! Thanks to the Kentucky Museum of Art and Craft for allowing me to use their facility as a backdrop for the hats.