Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Emerald City scrapboard -- hello Yellow Brick Road

It's good to be back on the web to give you all some of my fall project updates. Thank you to my visitors who stop here to read about my art.

After kicking myself into gear to put away the paints, and reach for a board, I have now begun a new concept and idea for a 3-D scrapboard. In The Wizard of Oz, the Emerald City is the destination of the plot, but the story never ends there.  The Yellow Brick Road is the analogy of the journey.

I started the fine art piece with a 24 by 24 inch sanded board. (Bored) Sanding a board is boring, yet paying attention and being mindful of the sandpaper going across the board is both soothing and invigorating because I am in the process: beginning. This is one of the many joys of creating work.

Green plastic bottles are adhered to the board in a -- what I like to call haphazard -- configuration. I love how they shine and are so smooth. One could put lotion in them I suppose...but I have better plans...

A trip to Home Depot is when things really got exciting. Why, the Yellow Brick Road! Tile? Rock? Stones? Should they be yellow? I want more 3-D! Here's where things got really sticky. Scrapboarding's secret ingredient is glue. I used Gorilla Glue for some of the "masonry" - ha - brick work, and as per usual, got it on my fingers. I also discovered I had to wait five minutes or more for the glue to cure to "set" the small bricks because I wanted them to physically come out of the board. Painstaking work, but rewarding. "Hello" (!) Yellow Brick Road! Elton John, love your song, though.

  Green plastic bottles were the design element for the Emerald City chosen by the architect -- me.



The Yellow Brick Road begins with a trip to Home Depot's tile aisle.


Yes, I'm bored (board). I had to start somewhere to get beyond summer Plein Air painting and ease into a new fall fine art piece.